Honoring Pets and Their People
What is a Pet Ministry?
For many of us, pets are part of our family. They provide companionship, acceptance, emotional support, and unconditional love. For many, the cherished human-to-animal connection is the simplest way to connect to the unconditional love of God. It becomes a touchstone to use when seeking a deeper connection to Spirit.
If you have ever loved a dog, cat, ferret, parakeet, lizard, bunny rabbit or hamster; then you understand the transformative power of that kind of love. It is the mission of our UCOH Pet Ministry to foster and support that love, by providing spiritual support to our members as it relates to the lives of our pets.
Under the direction of UCOH Prayer Chaplain Pam Robers, our Pet Ministry provides the following services on a love offering basis:
- Prayer support when animals are sick or injured.
- Spiritual support when making the decision whether or not to euthanize.
- Support during euthanasia (when possible for a Chaplain to be present).
- Grief support after the loss of a pet.
- Ceremonies such as Animal Remembrance Ceremonies, Animal Funerals, Naming Ceremonies, Blessings and other ceremonies.
- Annual Pet Blessing (1st Saturday in October).
- Maintenance of UCOH Pet Garden.
Pam has been heavily involved in animal rescue efforts for over 30 years. She has fostered over 20 dogs for various rescue groups.